українська версія english version deutsche version history | the town's tours | retro-exhition | arts museum | poetry of cosy streets | recreation, service, business | the town's map | Transcarpathian tours | the books about Uzhgorod | slide-show

  UZHHOROD: CHRONOLOGY


872 - the first mentioning of Uzhhorod in Shymon Keizai's chronicle; 894 - the Hungarian tribes crossed Uzhhorod;
1086 - the Kutseky khan hordes attacked the town;
1214 - Uzhhorod begins to be the centre of Uzh comitat;
1241 - Batyj khan hordes destroyed the town;
1250 - the first mentioning of New Uzhhorod rebuilt in Horiany area;
1292 - the Hungarian king presented Uzhhorod to Abo Amodej;
1312 - the owner of the town is Rusyn bojar Petro Petounja;
1318 - king Carl-Robert presented the town to the Drouhet counts;
1320 - the bridge was first mentioned in the town;
1322 - the first Catholic church mentioned in Uzhhorod;
1384 - a new Uzhhorod castle is built. The oldest documented school was founded;
1451 - a hospital was first mentioned in Uzhhorod;
1514 - Uzhhorod was ruined by Gy. Dozsa peasant rebellion;
1567 - property census in the town; 75 homesteads registered;
1569 - the shop of tailors is founded in Uzhhorod;
1620 - the oldest record of the town's council;
1631 - property census: 138 homesteads;
1646 - Greco-Catholic Union adopted;
1685 - census in Uzhhorod; nine potters, thirteen cobblers, ten furriers, five tailors, three leathermen; four blackmiths, six carpenters;
1691 - the last Drouhet died, and again Uzhhorod was census-taken:
221 homesteads, 156 vineyards, 11 horses, etc.; 10 streets fixed;
1707 - M. Berczenyi accepted Peter I ambassadors in Uzhhorod;
1711 - Austrian troops occupied the town. Berczenyi was deprived of the town which was transferred to the state property;
1771 - the Austrian Emperess Maria-Teresia presented the Uzhhorod castle to the Greco-Catholic See;
1776 - Mukachiv religious seminary was transferred to Uzhhorod;
1793 - a water timber mill was built in Uzhhorod;
1796 - the mill with eight grind-stones;
1799 - the initial channel laid;
1830 - the census-taking fixed 6631 inhabitants;
1838 - the comitat council proclaimed Uzhhorod a self-ruled town, taking it away from the treasury governing;
1845 - self-rule of Uzhhorod was reaffirmed by the Hungarian Vicegerent Council;
1850 - the town's street got their Rusin names;
1861 - the first printed history of Uzhhorod by K.Meisarosz;
1866 - the town's hospital was founded in Kapoushanska st.;
1866 - the railway was laid to Mukachiv. In 1887 it was prolonged to Stryi;
1875 - voluntary fire brigade;
1886 - the furniture factory started functioning in Uzhhorod; the craftsmen society was founded; biology teacher Lauden founded Uzhhorod dendropark of exotic plants;
1893 - Uzhhorod - Velyky Berezny railway was laid;
1897 - telegraph appeared in Uzhhorod;
1900 - census taking registrated 1050 houses, 20 enterprises;
1910 - according to the census Uzhhorod area was 21 sq. km.; the population 15.980 civilians and 939 military men; the number of houses increased to 1346 and streets up to 50;
1919 - Uzhhorod was occupied by the Czech troops. The Central Ruthenian People Council adopted the decision to join Czechoslovakia;
1920 - Uzhhorod became the centre of Subcarpathian Rus;
1928 - People's House of "Enlightment" was opened;
1937 - the transport bridge was built;
1938 - the Vienna Arbitration ceded Uzhhorod (and Mukachiv) to Hungary;
1944 - the Soviet troops entered Uzhhorod on October 27;
1945 - Uzhhorod State University was open on October 18;
1946 - Uzhhorod became the centre of Transcarpathian region of the UkrSSR; The regional music-drama theatre, Philarmonic Society, Palace of pioneers and schoolchildren were founded;
1948 - the Transcarpathian regional and the Transcarpatian arts museums were set;
1969 - the Uzhhorod television started functioning;
1973 - Uzhhorod City Council building was erected (architect A.Medvetsky);
1979 - Hotel "Zakarpattya" started functioning;
1990 - the International Children's Olympiad took place in Uzhhorod;
1991 - the majority of the City Council deputies in August were among the first in the USSR to condemn the State Committee of Extraordinary Situation's plot in Moscow;
1992 - the start of large and small privatization in Uzhhorod;
1994 - the Cross-Mounted Orthodox Cathedral foundation was laid; Memorial plaques to F.Koriatovych, A.Voloshyn, O.Doukhnovych were opened;
1996 - Uzhhorod Institute of economics and law;
1997 - the Transcarpathian branch of Interregional Academy of Personnel Management was opened. Since 2001 a Voloshyn Transcarpathian Institute of IAPM;
1997 - the monument to the perished workers of the Internal Affairs of Transcarpathia;
1997 - the monument to those Transcarpathians who perished in Afganistan;
1999 - Taras Shevchenko Monument was opened;
2001 - the monument to Transcarpathian volunteers who perished in the struggle against fascism;
2001 - the monument to Avhustyn Voloshyn was grounded.